The ATLS is a three day course, developed by the American College of Surgeons and its Committee on Trauma to train doctors on the early care of trauma patients through interactive tutorials, skills teaching and simulated patient management scenarios.
ATLS is primarily directed at providing initial care during the “Golden Hour.” This is the window of opportunity for the physician to have the greatest impact on morbidity and mortality of the trauma patient.
Upon completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Assess the patient’s condition rapidly and accurately
- Resuscitate and stabilize the patient according to priority.
- Determine if the patient’s needs exceed a facility’s capabilities.
- Arrange appropriately for the patient’s definitive care.
- Ensure that optimum care is provided.
The course is three days course and is conducted six times every year.
Number of instructors/trainees/capacity of the program:
The course maximum capacity is 16 candidates; they will be supervised by one course director and four instructors.
The program of the ATLS based on the American collage of Surgeons and its trauma committee guidelines to train doctors on the early care of trauma patients through interactive tutorials, skills teaching and simulated patient management scenarios. The course will is conducted in a classroom and practical stations fully equipped by the recommended audiovisual system and training equipments/manikins. A Learning material is provided to the candidates in advance in order to be prepared for the course, and do the required testing at the end of the course.
The course targeted all physicians in critical areas, anesthesia, surgeons, Emergency department. Nurses, Paramedics, EMT’s and Coordinators can attend this course as auditors only
Log book and Program statistics and other related official documentation:
Each course will have documentations;. All the related documents are attached in appendix A5.
- Course registration sheet.
- Copy of the course Agenda.
- Course Practical test sheets
• Written test answer sheet.
- The course results summary sheet.
- Copy of the ATLS card.
- Copy of ATLS certificate.
- Copy of the ATLS welcoming letter. And related policy.