The Pediatric Advanced Life Support Course is designed for pediatricians, family physicians, emergency physicians, nurses, midlevel paramedics, respiratory therapists, and other healthcare providers who initiate and direct advanced life support in pediatric emergencies.
The Life Support Center at King Fahad Medical City is an authorized International Training Center for the American Heart Association for Advanced Cardiac Life Support Program. The center is accredited by the American Heart Association.
Upon completion of the course, the participant will be able to:
- Demonstrate the skills necessary for resuscitating and stabilizing the infant or child in respiratory failure, or cardiopulmonary arrest.
- Identify normal vs. abnormal cardiac rhythms and the appropriate pharmacologic and electrical therapies.
- State the indications & dosages of medications used in cardio-pulmonary arrest.
- Perform techniques to obtain vascular access in infants and children via intraosseous cannulation.
- Perform advanced skills in the assessment and treatment of cardiopulmonary arrest in the pediatric patient.
The course is two days course and is conducted two times per month.
Number of instructors/trainees/capacity of the program:
The course ratio is one instructor to six candidates.
The program of the PALS based on the AHA guidelines in training utilizing an international version of lessons map, focuses on a teaching module called practice while watching and effective team dynamics. The course will is conducted in a classroom fully equipped by the recommended audiovisual system and training manikins. A Learning material is provided to the candidates in advance in order to be prepared for the course.
The course targeted all healthcare providers working with pediatrics critically ill patients.
Log book and Program statistics and other related official documentation:
Each course will have documentations; all the candidates will register themselves on the AHA website and receive their PALS Provider card and certificate of completion after the course. All the related documents are attached in appendix A3.
- Course registration sheet.
- Copy of the course Agenda.
- Course Practical test sheets
- Written test answer sheet.
- The course results summary sheet.
- Copy of the PALS card.
- Copy of PALS certificate.